Tuesday 18 October 2016

Thai Massage

October 18th, 2016

Have you ever been for a massage? I am a very affectionate person but I don't really like strangers touching my body. I think it was ok prior to having children but, somehow, after having my daughters, I no longer wanted to go out for a massage. It wasn't a treat. I preferred time to myself, to think, to write, to walk around. I craved personal space I guess.

After my first daughter was born, I went to a spa in Stittsville, a gift from my hubby, and a young lady massaged me. I didn't feel a connection to her. It felt awkward like she didn't want to do the work and I couldn't wait for it to be over.

On another occasion, this time after the birth of my second daughter, my husband surprised me with a massage during the girls' nap time. I had my period and I told my husband that I was bleeding profusely and would need to postpone. He had already paid and they were waiting for me. Two women stood over me, one of them massaging me, in a communal, open air room. She was good, some of it was relaxing but every time she lifted and pulled a leg, I could feel the blood oozing, dripping and I worried about what kind of mess awaited me when she was done.

For Father's Day, I booked a Thai Massage for my husband. He has travelled through Thailand and told me about the rigorous massages he received during that trip. One day, we watched Anthony Bourdain, the celebrity chef, receiving a Thai Massage during his travels. It looked like torture to me but my husband was looking on, longingly. I found the best masseuse I could find. He came home with a blissful look on his face. He told me he had booked a home massage for both of us.

I was worried. I don't like pain. I don't want to be twisted and have my limbs bent in unnatural directions. My husband had his 90 minute session first. Then, it was my turn. I must add here that, following our car accident in 2012, I went to visit a massage therapist and she worked me hard. I ended up with a massive headache for two weeks. This experience did nothing to restore my confidence in these health professionals.

She had set up some mats on the floor. I explained that I didn't want a headache and pointed out my vulnerable areas (neck, lower back, right ovary and base of skull). I informed her that, unlike my husband, I didn't like it rough. I actually prefer more of a gentle, soothing approach. She listened to my spiel and assured me that she would start slow and build a sense of safety for me.

She started holding my feet and rocking. She stayed at my feet for a while, working on each foot individually then moving my feet together. She moved up my legs, explaining what she was doing along the way. She used her body with mine to compress and stretch the various parts of my body. Everything was done in a gentle, nurturing way. We communicated throughout. She checked with me to ensure I was not in any pain. Having my body pulled and rocked was very soothing. My favourite parts were when she was supporting areas that are normally quite tense like my lower back and the base of my skull. When she removed the tension from my body, I was able to breathe and just enjoy.

Breathing was an instrumental part of this process. She would ask me to inhale before she compressed my body then exhale as she released it. Being on the floor together means we work as a team. She used her body to help support mine. I thoroughly enjoyed this process. There was no pain and I didn't get a headache. As a matter of fact, she ended with my head, relieving stress, relaxing muscles, supporting its weight.

If you are feeling frail, wanting some TLC and looking for a professional who will tailor her approach to your needs, I would strongly recommend a 90 minute massage with Sarah at Bliss Yoga, http://blissyogaottawa.com. You will feel nurtured and healed.

Anne Walsh
www.artnsoul.org

No comments:

Post a Comment