Monday 25 January 2016

Neurofeedback

January 25th, 2016

Today was an exciting day. I visited Carol Williams in North Augusta to try Neurofeedback. I have read quite a bit about it but I still wasn't sure what to expect. I would like to share this experience with you.

In July 2014, after the car accident, my brain had a concussion and needed a lot of rest. I went for a year of physiotherapy and slept a lot. Then I started drinking more coffee to give me the energy to get through the day. I recently started working out at the gym to help heal my body. Most of the symptoms have gone away but I do get dizzy quite often and I reach a point, every day, where I hit a wall of fatigue and can't go any further. Unfortunately, my daughters don't understand this and, as they insist that they are not tired and beg me to stay up later, I get grumpy. I don't have the energy to negotiate with them or play with them. I say: "I'm done. I love you. Go to bed. I'll see you in the morning".

I was hoping neurofeedback would help my brain so I could experience less dizziness and fatigue. Carol uses the NeurOptimal System. She showed me someone's brain map and explained that each side represents one of the brain's hemispheres. The graph helped to visualize the level of activity in different parts of the brain and, whether there was more activity on one side of the brain or not. I sat in a cozy chair and she draped a thick, warm blanket over my lap. She then placed some sensors on either side of my head and onto my ears. She took a baseline reading which took 15 seconds with my eyes open and 15 seconds with my eyes closed. I saw a squiggly line across the screen. I was given ear buds and she checked the volume of the music. It was perfect. She presented two options: 1-watch the graph lines move on the screen of her computer or, 2-watch a moving kaleidoscope of colour, also on her computer screen. I chose the kaleidoscope. There were circles growing and shrinking, one expanding, the other swallowing itself, dots crossing the screen, vibrating squares, all in a variety of colours, very psychedelic.

The music was meditative, instrumental and, put me in a bit of a trance. Carol left the room but informed me that I could knock on the wall or call out for her if I wished to stop the session prematurely for any reason. I was quite comfortable, watching the computer screen and listening to music. The session lasted just under 35 minutes. Carol returned and took another reading with eyes open and eyes closed. Some of the spikes had softened and the second line was much lower, indicating that I was very relaxed.

Throughout the session, periodically, I would hear a bit of static. This is when my brain was getting distracted. The static is a cue to the brain to bring it back to the task at hand. This is like a workout for your central nervous system, increasing your brain's plasticity and improving its functioning. Most people notice an improvement within six weeks. You generally go to one session per week and the amount of sessions you'll need depends on the individual. On one website, www.zengar.com, they suggest 20 sessions to deal with current issues and 30+ sessions for early life problems.

Neurofeedback is helpful for a variety of challenges from ADD/ADHD and Autism to Insomnia and depression. It has been used for Ptsd, anxiety and brain injuries and, is recommended to treat chronic pain as well. Some people stop the treatments once they obtain the results they want, others space out their sessions to monthly appointments.

Carol says some people feel energized after a session and others feel relaxed. I was definitely in the latter category. I felt like I might fall asleep during treatment. Carol suggested we prop my head with a pillow next time so I can sit back and sleep. I was yawning as we chatted after my appointment. The appointment was just over two hours ago and I am feeling calm and energized. I am going back next week for more healing. I should mention that Carol herself is very calm and gentle, friendly and non-judgemental. She answered all of my questions patiently and did not pressure me to book any additional sessions.

If you would like to learn more about Neurofeedback or try it for yourself, go to www.cwilliams.ca.

Anne Walsh
www.artnsoul.org

No comments:

Post a Comment