Tuesday 6 September 2016

Book of the Week-Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

September 6th, 2016

My mother bought me the new Harry Potter book for my birthday. I was excited to read it but I thought I would save it until the girls were back in school as a special treat. One day, I was having a bad day. I had cabin fever and wanted to go out. It was a beautiful day. My husband was at work. My daughters were playing in their room and did not want to change out of their pyjamas to go anywhere. I was grumpy. I had read reviews of the new Harry Potter book, dampening my excitement. I learned that it was written as a play and that some people were disappointed. I decided to start the book. My rationale was that it would be a shame to save the book until September 6th only to be let down.

I thought I would read one chapter, just a sneak peek. Well, I couldn't put it down. I read the entire book within a few days, staying up late, getting up early. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The book is written as a play but you get used to it after a few chapters, once you know the characters.

I remember the thrill of reading the very first Harry Potter novel. A young boy, orphaned, hated by his relatives, neglected and abused, who finds out he is special and is taken to a place where he belongs. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child felt like starting over again. We find out which characters from the first book end up together and we meet their children. Harry's son picks up where his dad left off and the adventure continues.

Another aspect of this book that I enjoyed was time travel. As Potter and his friend try to correct a mistake from the past, they realize that everything happens for a reason. Each change to the past leads to a significantly altered reality in the present, generally not a positive one. Rowling has weaved in some important themes-the reputations we inherit from our parents, the complex relationship betweens parents and their children as they grow up and, the desire to prove oneself through some kind of rite of passage.

I generally favour self-help books but this novel was a refreshing change. Rather than analyze my life, the relationships I have with those around me, my personality, purpose or conflicts, I was transported into another world. Reading fiction stimulates your imagination. It provides a break from everyday life and, a distraction from any worries. Instead, you let the author take you on a journey. You feel various emotions, learn different points of view and are exposed to new ideas.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and was not at all disappointed. I am currently reading a spiritual, self-help book, I can't help in, I am drawn to them. However, I am grateful for the adventure that this work of fiction has provided for me.

Anne Walsh
www.artnsoul.org

No comments:

Post a Comment