Thursday 15 September 2016

Marketing-A Way of Life

September 15th, 2016

I have been on fire ever since I attended the Black Card Books Bootcamp this past weekend. The way I see everything has changed. I am a very passionate person. As an art therapist, I get clients active, focused on the issue at-hand and how it is impacting their current life. My goal is not to draw out the process but to build a bridge between their life as-is and the life they are hoping to create. We explore the perceived obstacles and, through storytelling and art-making, we begin moving in the right direction. People leave with tangible tools and a plan. I am happy about that. Is that a smart way to run a business? Some would say no. However, I see it as positive because if people can get "un-stuck" in one session, they will feel great, get results and tell others about my services. I also feel drawn to clients who, traditionally, don't have a whole lot of money: teenagers, single moms, women in the process of getting a divorce, men who have stopped working due to ptsd etc. This leads to a need for sliding scale fees and, in some cases, I choose to offer my work for free.

At this bootcamp, I realized that my approach is not effective from a business standpoint. So far, I've tried to get into schools to showcase my workshops. The teachers and students love my workshops but they can't afford to pay me. The people who are in a position to fund my services do not see the children's smiling faces, they don't feel the excitement and energy in the room, they don't witness my connection with the children, they don't feel the relief of teachers as they hold tools in their hands that can help them manage negative class behaviours and promote cooperation in the classroom. So, now I am thinking: stop selling your services to the people who desperately want them but have no resources. Start educating the people with the purse strings by teaching them how they can benefit from your services.

As I walked around running errands this morning, I noticed every t-shirt or shopping bag with a logo on it. I took in the signs and slogans plastered on trucks, billboards and shop windows. I analyzed McDonald's golden arches and Timmie's brown coffee cups. I reflected on my purchases over the past weeks-Smile cookies for the Kemptville Youth Centre, an added two dollars at the grocery store to support Neon Night and raise funds for families whose children are dealing with a cancer diagnosis.

We breathe and eat marketing through the logos on our clothing, our choices of shopping venue, our patronage, the many commercials we watch on television or jingles we hear over the radio. People are constantly trying to sell you something. More and more, we are our business card. People get to know you, not as a client but as a person. They find out what you do. They like and trust you and recommend you to a friend.

I remember working in long term care as a program manager. My mother also worked at this facility  as an administrative assistant. I heard about some professionals who had behaved rudely toward my mother because she was just "the secretary". This changed they way I saw them and my inclination to do business with them. Treating everyone with respect gets you noticed. Embodying the values you promote in your business is one of the best marketing tools. I once paid for a yoga instructor to come and teach at my husband's spa. She showed up late, stressed, holding a cup of coffee and smelling like cigarettes. If we are hiring her to help us lead a healthier and calmer life, then her behaviour is a deterrent.

The bootcamp has me thinking differently. Other businesses want to serve my target population. I can work with them to provide services in a seamless manner. A client recently told me how difficult it can be for families who are adopting a second child to adequately prepare their eldest for this transition. They get a call and, within 24 hours, they have a child. I had never thought about this. I have this great book about a dog who feel jealous when a kitten gets adopted. I have been selling the book through clients and in local stores. I now see how providing copies to adoption agencies can boost the amount of families who are exposed to my book and ease this transition for so many families.

I also see how the Humane Society who is very conscientious of preparing adoptive families to take on a new pet might want to use this book for fundraisers. If I rely simply on selling directly to families, I miss so many families who could benefit from this book. By catering to organizations who serve my target population, I can reach more families and really make a difference in their lives. I am so excited by this revelation. I have a French book for children due out by the end of September. I now have a plan to pair up with a new French school in Kemptville in order to distribute the book to as many French families in the area as possible.

Whatever business you are in, I urge you to think about your target population. Where are they? What do they need? How can you communicate to them that you can help? What other businesses serve this population? How can you collaborate with these businesses to reach your clients? Marketing has become more than trying to sell my services to potential clients. It has become a way of sending a message to future clients that I understand what they are going through and I can help.

Anne Walsh
www.artnsoul.org

No comments:

Post a Comment