Monday 14 November 2016

Rodolphe Charron

November 14th, 2016

Today would have been my grandfather's birthday. He passed away ten years ago at the age of 95. I loved my grandpa. He lost his entire family when he was eight years old because his mother had severe postpartum psychosis (we think) and she was admitted to a psychiatric hospital. His father owned a general store and couldn't take care of the eight children. Therefore, they were all shipped off to different locations.

My grandpa was sent to a seminary where young men were sent to become priests. He cried for months. He looked up to an older boy who was living at the seminary. This young man was very disciplined and spent hours every evening doing his homework. My grandfather developed respect for education and had his own aspirations. However, as soon as he was old enough, his father returned for him. He had him work at his store. Eventually, he took over his business and became very successful. I don't know what he would have become if he hadn't been forced to take over the family business. He loved to watch the news, discuss politics and have debates with other men. I think he would have gone into law or politics.

He dated my grandmother for a long time before they married. We found out years later that she got pregnant and then they got married. It was their secret. My grandfather was intelligent. He was great with people, very polite and friendly. I can see why his business grew to be such a success. He was hardworking and proper. He wasn't the type to fool around or flirt with other women. My grandparents had five children together. My grandmother raised the children and my grandfather earned money. If one of the boys was given her a hard time, she would tell my grandad when he got home from work and he would get his strap. Ouch!

When the neighbourhood where his store was located became impoverished, he was robbed and held at gunpoint. The last time he was held at gun point, he decided to retire. He experienced symptoms following this trauma, probably like ptsd. He stayed home for a while and my grandmother was not happy about this new arrangement. He would walk around the house, whistling then read his paper and sit at the table for lunch or supper. He loved eating but he was especially fond of dessert. My grandma was an excellent cook so there was always plenty to eat and it was delicious. After he retired, they had to sell their country home. They moved to the city and lived in a tiny apartment. This was a difficult adjustment but the country property was too much for them to manage and it was more expensive.

Eventually, my grandad got jobs at the quarry then the courthouse. When he stopped working there, he ran errands for his siblings. They had reconnected at some point. His sister suffered from dementia so he would visit her weekly and run errands for her. His younger brother had a disability due to Scarlett Fever. He would take him out with him. Sometimes, they would go hunting together. He would drive out to his sister's ex husband's house regularly. It was an hour drive into the country and I would often go with him. I loved being in this country home and I would borrow the neighbour's dog to play with and care for.

My grandfather was really mellow. He had a great sense of humour, not so much saying jokes but laughing easily at the jokes of others. I can still see his belly jiggling and nostrils flaring as he laughed. He loved reading his paper, going out for walks to talk to other older men about politics and eating sweets. He drove everywhere and when he was diagnosed with dementia, his license was taken away. This was really hard on him. He was quiet. He preferred to let my grandmother enjoy the limelight. She liked it that way too. She sang and said jokes and everyone laughed, including him.

When you went to their home, there was a jar of jujubes near the front door on a kitchen cabinet. Many of us grabbed some jujubes on our way in or on the way out. There were grapes, slices of cheese, pickles and celery on the table for people to munch on and, as soon as you arrived, my grandfather would ask you if you'd like a pop or coffee or tea. He would fetch the pop and grandma would make coffee or tea.

You never knew who was stopping by during one of your visits. There was a knock on the door and you were instantly connecting with cousins, aunts, friends of the family etc. Both my grandparents loved that. I didn't have a father growing up so I am grateful that I had my grandfather in my life. I saw a gentle, caring, funny, hardworking, intelligent gentleman who took care of his family. I loved riding the elevator with him. He always took his hat off in the presence of women and greeted people as they got onto the elevator. I couldn't have asked for a better role model.

Happy birthday Grandpa! I love you!

Anne Walsh
www.artnsoul.org

No comments:

Post a Comment