Friday 16 December 2016

The Therapeutic Effect of De-cluttering

December 16th, 2016

Today was one of those days. You know the ones? You have an ambitious to-do list and you toss and turn all night going over what you want to accomplish, trying to figure out how to proceed. Where do I start? That was me this morning. I looked at my list, turned on the music and got busy. Among the items on my list were de-cluttering and re-organizing furniture.

My mother-in-law will be visiting for ten days over Christmas. I now have one visit under my belt therefore I know what to expect, we have met and connected in the summer so it's less stressful in that way this time. However, it's winter and Christmas therefore I need to prepare for her visit differently. Our bedroom is quite cold and I don't want her to freeze during her visit as she will be sleeping in our room. The contractors came to finish sealing up our new windows today so that is one less concern. I have been cranking up the heat at the girls' bath time to see how cozy the room can get.

Last time, the girls spent most of their time playing in my eldest daughter's room. They were excited to meet their grandma but she didn't spend a great deal of time getting to know them. Every time they sat near her, they listened to adult conversations and felt excluded. By the time she left, they did not feel that they had gotten to know her. They were sad that they hadn't bonded. I have moved our dining room table to the kitchen where it once was, when the children were little. In the old dining room, I have set up a play room. This is how the house was set up for years when the girls were little. They loved it and it was a great way to keep an eye on them while I cooked. I am hoping that they will have more opportunities to interact with their grandma if they are playing on the main floor where we are.

Christmas is a big thing in our home. We spend our time hanging out in our pyjamas. We eat, read, play, watch movies and eat again. We talk and laugh, light sparklers and pull crackers. We all love this time of the year. That is one of the reasons I am a bit nervous. I hope Christmas will be just as awesome this year. When my mother-in-law visited in the summer, my husband struggled with the gap between his expectations and the reality of his relationship with his mother. He rode a roller coaster of anxiety, anger, guilt and sadness. He and his mother bickered at times. I was taken aback by their interaction because I knew he really wanted her to be there. He spent a great deal of time leaving the house for errands and I spent more time with my mother-in-law than he did. I didn't mind it because she is easy to get along with however, my daughters felt neglected. I wasn't playing with them or talking to them as much and they resented it. Now, we are heading into this special holiday and I want to make my mother-in-law feel welcome while still making time to create memories with the girls.

Ever since the girls have arrived from school, they have been playing in their new toy room on the main floor. We ate at the dining table in the kitchen. It all feels like before, when they were little and it brings back fond memories. I feel a shift in the energy in the house. It feels good. I am thrilled with what I got done today. It was just that kind of day, I was on a roll. I am one step closer to having our home ready for a special guest. My hope for the holidays is that my husband will treat this visit as a gift, an opportunity to spend a peaceful Christmas surrounded by the women and girls who love him: his mother, my mother, our daughters and, of course, his wife.

Anne Walsh
www.artnsoul.org

No comments:

Post a Comment