Thursday 2 June 2016

Book of the Week-The Abundance Code

June 2nd, 2016

I have just finished reading The Abundance Code by Julie Ann Cairns. She was one of the Hay House authors I listened to during the Hay House Summit. I was impressed with her interview, it really made me think so I decided to order her book.

The book's chapters dispel myths about money. Julie talks about the many myths we are taught as children and the impact they have on our success and happiness as we grow into adulthood. Her goal is to create doubt so the reader can stop believing in the myth and rewrite his or her own beliefs.

I examined some of my favourite moments growing up. None of them really had to do with money. I loved going to the beach, visiting my aunt Louise and going to my Grandmother's home in the country. Then I was asked to list some of my lowest moments. These were all times when I felt cut off from my loved ones like the year I spent in Montreal, studying and looking for work. I was broke and no one would hire me because I wasn't from Montreal. All my references were from Ottawa. I was in an amazing city with so many things to do but I couldn't afford to do them. I didn't know anyone and felt very lonely. What these two exercises did were outline how being in nature and feeling connected to others promoted wellness and joy while feeling isolated made really sad.

Next, I had to figure out how to associate wealth with what I love while imagining how money could help me avoid what I hate. If money was no object, I would go away each winter, somewhere warm and enjoy quality time with my family. We would travel a lot, learn about different cultures and taste different food.

The author compares roommates who are the same age and make comparable incomes. One was raised in a wealthy home and the other one wasn't. She explains their different approaches to every day life. I was shocked to see how similar my habits were to the roommate who grew up poor. I never carry big amounts of money and prefer using debit for purchases. The roommate who was raised in a wealthy family always carried a wad of cash with her because that felt normal to her. I am always paranoid when I have cash that I will lose it. It stresses me out.

Julie does a good job at illustrating how we learn to compete for what we perceive to be limited resources even though we live in a world of abundance. She shows us how we learn to see money as a reward for hard work, something we earned by working for a long time. She pointed out that many of us are able to make money but we can't hold onto it because we don't feel worthy of it. She asks what we do with our money-spend or invest?

I hadn't really thought about it but I do have some money I could invest. It's not that much but she says it doesn't need to be a big amount. Usually, when I get money, I spend it on my loved ones. I go out and buy stuff that I know people have wanted for some time but couldn't afford. I pay for experiences like sending my husband to the Rock N Roll hall of fame or getting the girls registered in a gymnastics class.

If I spend money on myself it's usually to complete a project I have been working on, like getting my book printed or paying someone to film my workshops. I like to see a tangible result. The other thing I spend money on is food. I keep our fridge full of food we love. It's a love and safety thing for me, an act of self-care to keep the provisions fully stocked. Growing up, my mother didn't make much money so our fridge was often bare. I don't want my daughters to ever feel hungry and helpless to do anything about it.

This book is an excellent tool because it shows you how each myth plays out in your life, then helps you change your perception about money so that you are feeling more positive about it. In the last chapter, you pick your most challenging beliefs about money and replace them with positive affirmations then you replace old habits with new behaviours. I am much more aware of the ways I sabotage my own success by either giving my services away or undercutting myself, always working harder than I have to because it's what I feel I have to do to earn and deserve money. I strongly urge anyone who is working hard and not getting ahead to read this book.

Anne Walsh
www.artnsoul.org

No comments:

Post a Comment