Friday 3 June 2016

Yazdani

June 3rd, 2016

I don't know about you but there are lots of people out there who fear dentists. They wait until they are in severe pain before they call to schedule an appointment, when they are desperate for relief. By then, they require a root canal and their worst nightmare becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. I am fortunate that I have always had great dentists. My mother and my eldest daughter were not so lucky.

Some friends of ours recommended we try Yazdani Dentistry on Saunders street in Kemptville. I needed to find a new dentist for my daughter that was more-kid-friendly so she could lose her fear of going to the dentist's office. My eldest daughter is very sweet, kind-hearted, gentle and generous and I love her to bits but she has this thing about textures.

When I buy clothing, she doesn't like anything with a seam at the chest, it can't have an image on it with a rubber-feeling backing on the inside (too sticky), she doesn't like certain fabrics like lycra, nylon, spandex etc (too slippery), she hates being warm, she eats the same foods over and over again because they feel good in her mouth and, trying to get a toothpaste that she will actually use has been a nightmare.

She hates the taste of mint, orange, bubble gum, very berry etc. She tolerates the strawberry flavoured tooth paste but will only use a small amount. We argue more about tooth brushing and hygiene in general than anything else. I have to ask her multiple times to brush her teeth. I prepare her toothbrush otherwise she doesn't use any toothpaste and, I watch to make sure she doesn't just skim over it, 10 seconds, and spit it all out. The result of her disdain for tooth brushing is that areas at the back of her mouth get neglected. I tried rinses but they taste too strong for her. There is a cream that neutralizes acidity. It is very expensive. I bought a tube, she put some on herself the first night, gagged and immediately rushed to the towel and scraped it all off. When we go to the dentist's office, I feel embarrassed by the state of her teeth. I feel like a bad mom, like I have been neglectful. They can't know how much energy I waste fighting with her twice a day to get even minimal effort on her part.

I booked an appointment with the Yazdani office for a tour and a cleaning. My daughter and I were greeted by the hostess. The office is clean and flooded with sunlight. The hostess was very nice. She pointed out the waiting room which is filled with snacks, juice boxes and coffee and has rows of magazines plus a corner for toys.

As we walked through the office, we saw the state of the art equipment and friendly staff. We were led to one of the many stations where we waited for the dentist. I was asked to fill out paperwork. The questions were different from other offices. I had to provide the usual medical background information but they also wanted to know what was important to us and how they could make my daughter's experience as pleasant as possible. The dental hygienist asked Molly about her day and plans for the weekend. She spoke to her directly and took the time to connect with her. When her dentist, Angel, arrived, he was also pleasant and efficient. There was a television overhead so she was able to watch cartoons while they examined and cleaned her teeth. She received a welcome package and was instructed to pick a prize from the treasure box.

By the time we left there, I knew she would come willingly with me for her next appointment. We did need a follow-up appointment and that was today. I was nervous about her feeling pain during the procedure. I had forgotten the dentist's name so when Molly said her Angel was going to come and fix her teeth, I thought that was an odd comment. The dentist introduced himself as Angel and it clicked. They were going to work on the top left but Molly said her bottom left tooth was the worst. They quickly assessed the situation and focused on the tooth that was bothering her. I sat in the room and watched the entire procedure.

The dentist showed her how to use the chair massage button so she could relax during her appointment, he gave her some cool sunglasses to wear and talked to her in a caring manner. His humour and friendly demeanour helped her relax. The dental hygienist, Carley,  explained what they were doing every step of the way. When it was time to numb her gums, she told her she should close her eyes because she needed to bring the light in for a closer look, that way Molly wouldn't see the needle. Later, when I asked my daughter if she had felt any pain, she assured me that she didn't. Both the dentist and the hygienist praised my daughter and encouraged her along the way. She watched the cartoon network program playing overhead and pressed the chair massage button from time to time (which she loved).

She picked a prize on her way out and we went home so she could rest while we waited for the numbness in her cheek and tongue to wear off. I was so relieved. My daughter liked the dentist's sense of humour. Molly wants to be the next Taylor Swift. When Angel heard about this he said he wanted her signature now before she got too famous. I am very happy that my daughter has lost her fear of dentists. I would highly recommend the Yazdani office for anyone wanting to feel cared for by competent, friendly professionals.

Anne Walsh
www.artnsoul.org

No comments:

Post a Comment